Saturday, December 09, 2006

Bilging: Value of Clearing Crabs?

A FU student asks:

I've heard that clearing crabs scores as well as consistently doing bingos. What's your take on that?


The value of a cleared crab is proportional to the level of the water in the bilge. The higher the water, the more a cleared crab is worth. Unfortunately, you just don't have much control over when you get crabs. You do, on the other hand, have more control over constantly creating bingos.

A crab may be worth a good score, but so is a bingo. A bingo along with a crab cleared is worth far more. Wink Personally, I see the crabs as "bonus" points. I don't generally chase crabs. I just clear 'em as I work my bingos about the board. The only time I pay much attention to crabs is if I can arrange a clear to release multiple crabs at one time (which provides a bonus) or if I really can't find any decent clears. In such a case, I might just try to release a crab and then look for good clears, after that.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I'd say the one exception is when working with a full bilge, with lots of crabs in play. The crabs are so close to the top that just clearing crabs, even with multiple moves, keeps you at incred, and clearing multiple crabs yields enormous points.