Thursday, October 23, 2008

Distilling: Sonnyz' Videos

I've been working on creating some videos for distilling but, while those are in process, I'd like to refer you all to these well-known videos produced some time back by Sonnyz:

Forum Post

In particular, the second video is great for showing you some of the common moves you'll need to master in order to distill at a high level. Unfortunately, at the time these videos were made, you couldn't go past a CC^12 - the game simply stopped at that point. While getting beyond a CC^12 may not matter if you're only interested in getting Renowned standing so you can provide expert labor, it matters a great deal if you're trying to crack the Ult list and/or get the #1 spot.

One thing I notice in Sonnyz' first video is that, during the first phase of the puzzle, in which he's trying to burn off as many browns and blacks as he can, he regularly moves any and all pieces from the left to the right. When I'm working this phase of the puzzle, I want to keep burning off full columns of colored pieces as long as I possibly can. As such, I don't want to get to the point at which I'm stuck with lots of browns on top or blacks on the bottom. In order to prevent that, I tend to save blacks at the top and browns at the bottom of my board. These pieces will help you move bad pieces across the board more easily and, when it comes time to finish up this phase and move on, it's very fast and simple to drag these pieces straight across the board.

That said, Sonnyz' videos really are excellent and worth watching.

No comments: